Suzanne Nixon, EdD, RMT, LPC, LMFT
A nationally recognized speaker, Dr. Nixon presents at professional conferences and conventions throughout
the states and internationally. With extensive clinical training and experience in counseling and mind/body
therapies, her areas of expertise are: somatic therapy, aka mind/body therapy, mind/body skills, wellness
and healing, energy medicine, professional and personal ethics and recovery from sexual abuse.
- Montogmery County Cable Television, "Just Make It Last with Regina DeMeo," Kensington, MD 2012
- Duke University Integrative Health Center, Alumni Conference, Durham, NC 2011
- Internal Family Systems National Conference, Boston, MA 2011
- VA State Conference of the American Massage Therapy Association, Richmond, VA 2008
- Enchantment Resort: Professional Seminars for the Massage Therapy Staff, Sedona, AZ 2008
- National Convention of the American Massage Therapy Association, Phoenix, AZ 2008
- National Convention of the American Massage Therapy Association, Atlanta, Georgia, 2006
- State Conference of the Pennsylvania Chapter of the American Massage Therapy Association, Harrisburg, PA, 2005, Key Presenter
- The Sacred Space Foundation's International Conference on Spirituality and Health, England 2004 and 1999
- State Convention of the Virginia American Massage Therapy Association, Richmond, VA 2005, 2002
- National Conventions and Conferences of the American Massage Therapy Association, USA, Canada, Mexico 2003, 2001, 1998, 1995, 1988
- Psychology of Health, Immunity and Disease, The National Institute for the Clinical Application of Behavioral Medicine, South Carolina 1997, 1995, 1994
- International Congress on Alternative & Complementary Medicine, Virginia 1997, 1996
- Whole Life Expo, Baltimore, MD 1998
- Virginia Tech's Department of Family and Child Development's Annual Conference, Falls Church, VA 1997
- Mid-Atlantic Massage Therapy's Association Annual Conference, Cherry Hill, NJ 1991
- New England Massage Therapy Association Conference, Provincetown, MA 1985
Back to top
An accomplished teacher, Suzanne is regularly invited to lecture and teach at resort spas,
educational institutions and health facilities.
- The Sanctuary, Kiawah Island Golf Resort, Kiawah Island, SC 2007
- Loudoun County Libraries, Spring and Fall, 2008, 2007
- Ritz Carlton Spa, McLean, VA 2003
- Canyon Ranch Spa and Fitness Resort, Tucson, Arizona 1998, 1997, 1996
- Treyburn Country Club, Durham, NC , 2001
- Potomac Massage Training Institute, Washington, D.C. 1984 - 2005
- AKS Massage School, Herndon, VA 2002- 2005
- Kaiser Permanente, Gaithersburg, MD 1985-1986
- University of Maryland, College Park, MD 1986
Back to top
Dr. Nixon has published nearly 20 articles in the field of health, wellness, somatic therapy and ethics.
- Successful Living Magazine, Winter 2007,"A Conscious Choice"
- Massage Therapy Journal, Summer 2007, "A Holistic Model for Ethical Practice"
- American Massage Therapy Journal, March 2003, "Conscious Ethics"
- Virginia in Touch, Volume XIV, Issue 2, June 2002, "A Matter of Personal Character or Professional Ethics?"
- Massage and Bodywork Magazine, June/July 2002, "Ethics in Using Your Intuition": Cover Article
- Virginia State A.M.T.A. Newsletter, June 2001 - "An Ethical Dilemma"
- Washington Women, Summer 2001, 7, 4, 13-16, "Somatic Therapy - The Body in Process"
- Virginia In Touch, June 2000, XII, 3, 10-14, "Ethical Dilemmas"
- Natural Health, June/August 2000, 71-72, "Standing Tall"
- Massage and Bodywork Magazine, June/July 1999, 62-70 -"The Heart of Ethics - Part II"
- Virginia in Touch, June 1999, XI, II, 14-16, "Sound Ethical Practices: Informed Consent"
- Massage and Bodywork Magazine, April/May 1999, 30-35 -"The Heart of Ethics - Part I": Cover Article
- American Massage Therapy Journal, Spring, 1995 - "The Academic Journey of a Body-Centered Psychotherapist"
- Journal of Traumatic Stress, 1994, 7,3, 494-496 - Book Review: "Embodying Healing"
- American Massage Therapy Journal, Winter, 1993 - "The Personal Journey Through Bodywork"
- Adult Survivors of Incest and Non-Victimized Women's Evaluation of the Use of Touch in Counseling, Dissertation: Virginia Polytechnical Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA
- Moving Forward, Spring, 1992 - "Bodywork with Adult Survivors of Incest"
- American Massage Therapy Journal, Spring, 1991 - "Massage as an Occupation"
- American Massage Therapy Journal, Summer, 1990 - "The Use of Touch as a Vehicle for Growth"
Regional and national journals and magazines contact Suzanne for her expert knowledge. She has been quoted in the following publications:
- Massage Magazine, June/July 2005
Article: Student Advisor
Author: Charlotte M. Versagi
Topic: Professional ethics for student massage therapists
- Massage and Bodywork, August/September 2005
Article: Energy Medicine: A Field of Potential
Author: Karrie Osborn
Topic: Energy Medicine
- Cancer Community Healing Network: A Resource Guide to Complimentary Practitioners for Cancer Surviviors and their Caregivers, 2001
Book: Cancer Community Healing Network
Author: Carole O‘Toole
Topic: Listings and descriptions of mind/body therapists
Back to top
Dr. Nixon has made two television appearances. Both were roundtable discussions on topics in
the field of comprehensive and alternative medicine.
- PBS, This is America with Dennnis Wholey, Washington, D.C. May 1995
- Time Warner Cable, Reston, VA, February 1995
Back to top
Suzanne has created, scripted and recorded two audiotapes. Both are guided
visualizations focusing on creating health in the body/mind.
- Grounding and Centering in the Body, Seagull Recording Studio, MD 1995
- Finding a Place of Safety in the Body, Solo Productions, VA 1995
Back to top